In the year of 1943 on April 4th, Calvary Baptist Church was organized by the late Rev. Ennis L. Roberts in the Logan home on the corner of Gevers and Hays Streets. Charter members included Sis. Rosie Lee Roberts, Bro. David Jefferson, Bro. Quinton Roberts, and Sis. Bernice Roberts Taylor.
After worshipping in the Logan home for a few months, the church purchased a lot at 1719 Burleson Street, and a tent was placed on it for worship services. A small edifice was later placed on the site and several new members were added to the church. The cornerstone of the church was laid April 4, 1944. The occasion gave cause for individual and collective thankfulness on the part of the pastor, officers and members.
Under the pastorate of Rev. Roberts, many auxiliaries were formed: The Senior and Youth Choirs, Usher Boards #1, #2, and the Brotherhood Union were activated. Several classrooms, a Baptistery and a cafeteria were added. Rev. Ennis L. Roberts served faithfully and untiringly for 23 years (from April 4, 1943 until his death on December 6, 1966).
On December 25, 1966, Rev. Robert Miller, Jr. was called as pastor of Calvary Baptist Church in a business meeting. He was installed as pastor March 1967. Under the leadership of Pastor Miller, through Christ, for 34 years the membership grew spiritually as well as numerically.
Under the leadership of Pastor Miller, through Christ, for 34 years the membership grew spiritually as well as numerically. The improvements made to the church under the pastorate of Rev. Miller were many. The church was completely renovated adding classrooms and a comfortable cafeteria. The indebtedness on this renovation has been paid. Calvary now enjoys several choirs: Sanctuary, Youth, and Voices of Calvary. We added a Women’s Chorus as well as a Male Chorus, Usher Boards #1, #2 along with the Stalwart, Ever-Ready and Calvary Doorkeeper Usher Boards. We also have Mission#1, #2 and the Junior Mission organizations. We have a very active Church School and Discipleship Training Union. Calvary has been blessed with many other ministries that include: The Nurses Guild, Single Ministry, Outreach-Van Ministry, Homebound (K.I.T.-Keeping in Touch) Ministry, Courtesy Council, Praise Dance Ministries, Drill Team Ministry, Computer Ministry, Ministers and Deacons Wives Ministry, Library Ministry, Audio/Visual Ministry, Prayer Ministry, Marriage Ministry, Seniors’ Ministry, and the Young Adult Ministry. We also enjoy a beautiful sign in front of the church that can be seen from several vantage points. We have purchased additional lots near the church that are used for parking.
The decade of the 80’s was marked by continual growth under the leadership of Pastor Miller. The church entered its newly renovated facility on September 16, 1984. This building was dedicated on September 30, 1984. Throughout the years, it has been known that Calvary is, “The House of Worship where the fellowship is so warm, the difference is worth the distance.” Through prayer, faith, hard work, and consecrated leadership, Calvary now has many new classrooms, a nursery, a chapel, a very spacious kitchen and fellowship hall. Another vision of Pastor Miller’s during the decade of the 90’s was the chapel, kitchen and fellowship hall all have central heating and air conditioning installed. These areas also were carpeted and paneled. In 1999 four new ministries were formed: Leadership Commission, Bereavement, Prayer and Stewardship Ministries. The final legacy of Pastor Miller was to have ceramic tile installed in the kitchen and new carpet installed in that fellowship hall.
Nationally, Pastor Miller served as Senior Pastor Advisor to the Southern Baptist Convention.
On the State level, August 15-16, 1988, Pastor Miller and Calvary Baptist Church hosted the 73rd Annual Session of the State Congress of Christian Workers, which was a huge success.
Locally, Pastor Miller served as President of the Baptist Minister’s Union from 1975-1977; Dean of City-Wide Institute from 1978-1989; Chairman of the Baptist Minister’s Institute from 1990-1992; and offered leadership as Moderator of the Guadalupe District Association from November 1991 to November 3, 2000.
The Lord called Pastor Miller home suddenly on November 3, 2000
On November 15, 2000, Rev. Willie J. Harper, Sr. was called upon by the members of Calvary to serve as interim pastor. During Rev. Harper’s tenure, the church acquired the half lot behind the church, paved the parking lot, installed a fence around the entire parking lot and purchased a new piano. Pastor Harper also led the effort to organize the Rosie Lee Roberts Library.
A special business meeting was called on October 24, 2001 for the purpose of electing the third (3rd) pastor of Calvary Baptist Church. Rev. Kevin L. Nelson was voted by the membership to fill the position. Rev. Nelson began serving on December 9, 2001. On February 10, 2002, Rev. Nelson was installed as pastor of Calvary Baptist Church. Rev. Nelson also served as Vice President of the Baptist Ministers’ Union of San Antonio and Vicinity, President of the Congress of the Guadalupe District Association, member of the Budgetary Board of San Antonio Baptist Association, and on the Board of Directors for the Community of Churches for Social Action (CCSA).
Under the leadership of Pastor Nelson during these past years, Calvary has paid for a new van, and paid off the church mortgage. Pastor Nelson also started a new ministry called the Young Enthusiastic Saints (Y.E.S.) Ministry. The Bereavement Ministry was also reactivated as the “Comfort Ministry”.
Under God’s direction, Pastor Nelson came with a vision and a purpose, observing that we needed more room for worship services. In December 2010 Calvary moved forward with her next phase of growth by purchasing approximately 8 acres of land located at 6142 FM 78/Seguin Road at Lakeview Drive for the purpose of building a multi-purpose center and a new church. On March 18, 2012 there was a ground breaking ceremony held at the purchased location. On December 30, 2012, we held the first worship service in our new facility..